Service learning helps to bridge the “real world” and the classroom. Research shows that service-learning is effective; it helps improve students’ grades, test scores, attendance, and self-confidence. It builds critical thinking and communication skills and fosters civic engagement, while allowing students to test and apply what they are learning in the classroom. Service-Learning is Chaminade’s Mission Statement in action. We seek to grow into Jesus’ spirit of service; His life was one of service to all humankind, with the imperative to love one another.
Key Elements at Chaminade, service learning is:
● Thoughtfully organized to address true needs in the community
● Offered through specific courses
● Integrated into the academic curriculum of a course, illuminating the practical applications of the material
● Includes structured means for reflection on the service experience
● Encourages active student involvement in the learning process
● Includes 10+ service hours, although grades/course points should be earned for the learning demonstrated through reflection (not simply for hours served)