Skip to Main Content

Doctor of Psychology in Clinical Psychology (PsyD) Transfer Requirements/ Procedures

Course/Credit Transfer

The Hawai‘i School of Professional Psychology at Chaminade University of Honolulu does not automatically transfer credit from graduate coursework taken at other institutions. Students who have taken graduate courses elsewhere may petition to have these courses apply toward transfer credit for courses in the curriculum. Course transfers are not reviewed or granted until the student has been accepted into the program and has paid the initial deposit following admission to the program.

For a course to be considered eligible for transfer credit, the following conditions must be met:

·        The course must have been taken no more than 5 years before entry to HSPP.

·        The course grade must be a grade of “B” or higher.

·        The course must have been a graduate-level course, taken for graduate-level credit from a regionally accredited college or university. In the case of institutions outside the U.S., the appropriate state or national accreditation is required. HSPP does not accept any credit hours earned as military credit, credit hours by examination, credit hours by correspondence, credit hours for life experience, or graduate credit hours from non-accredited schools.

·        As this is an on-ground Clinical Psychology program, peer and instructor face-to-face interactions are critical to instruction and evaluation. Transfer requests for online courses will be heavily scrutinized. Transfer of online assessment and therapy courses is prohibited.

·        Any course submitted towards a transfer of a 3 credit hour course must carry 3 or more graduate credit hours. In special circumstances, a maximum of 2 courses can be submitted to transfer as one 3 credit hour course. The total number of credit hours of the 2 courses must be equal to, or greater than 3 credit hours.

·        A maximum of 3 courses (9 credit hours) may be transferred towards the program. (5 courses if transferring from an APA-accredited PsyD program)

·        Transfer courses must be equivalent in content, and it is the responsibility of the student to demonstrate course equivalency. As determined by the HSPP faculty, there must be significant overlap in course content and requirements between the course submitted for transfer credit and the course offered.

 Transfer of assessment, therapy, and advanced courses carry additional scrutiny, especially if the course was not taken at an APA-accredited clinical psychology doctoral program.  In addition to completing the above-mentioned review process, the student may be required to pass a practical competency exam and provide reports/recordings, and even then, approval is extremely difficult.

The following is a list of courses that may not be transferred into the Hawai`i School of Professional Psychology at Chaminade University of Honolulu:




Professional Issues: Ethics, Conduct, and Law


Professionalization Group I


Professionalization Group II


Evaluation and Treatment of Diverse and Marginalized Populations


Clinical Interviewing


Integrative Assessment


Practicum I


Practicum II


Practicum II Extension


Practicum III


Practicum IV


Practicum IV Extension





All electives

Course/Credit Transfer Procedures

Transfer requests must be submitted at least 3 weeks prior to the start of the course (this may include 3 weeks prior to the start of a student’s first term), and no requests will be accepted after the Spring term of the student’s first year. Students petitioning for transfers may be required to provide course papers, exams, test protocols, psychological reports, and recordings. Students who wish to submit a course for transfer credit must submit the following to the Program Coordinator:

·        A Course Substitution Form

·        A copy of the transcript that denotes the course taken

·        A copy of the course syllabus

In some situations, a student may need to move out-of-state prior to completing all of their classes. In most situations, that student would transfer to another PsyD program to complete their degree. However, in rare situations in which the student has completed all courses through their third year, the student may request an advanced-student course transfer. In consultation with the HSPP Program Director, this could allow the student to take a few remaining classes at an approved program as a Student-at-Large (SaL) and transfer the credits (once completed) back to HSPP. Subsequently, the student would complete their program with HSPP by obtaining and attending an internship through HSPP. Students should be aware that this is a difficult and often-rejected process, as there are many factors to consider (e.g., number of previously transferred classes, quality of out-of-state program, equivalence of courses). Students who wish to request an advanced-student course transfer should do the following as soon as possible:

·        Students should obtain preliminary approval from the HSPP Program Director regarding the out-of-state program.

·        Students should contact the out-of-state program to inquire about an SaL status, available classes, and obtaining course syllabi.

·        Because the student will not be registering for HSPP courses, a Leave of Absence Request Form needs to be submitted.

·        Prior to taking any classes as an SaL, students should submit a Course Substitution
Form and respective syllabi to the HSPP Program Director for preliminary approval.

·        Beyond the courses, the student may be required to obtain additional training and/or perform a competency exam on the course subjects to best match the HSPP courses.

·       Once the classes are completed, students should resubmit a copy of the Course Substitution Form, syllabi from the completed courses, and transcripts to the HSPP Program Coordinator for processing final approval.