Skip to Main Content
Navigated to SH Medical Withdrawal from the University.

Medical Withdrawal From the University Policy

Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs/Dean of Students: Henry Hall, Room 221
(808) 735-4710

What is a medical withdrawal? Medical withdrawals from the university are intended to allow a student sufficient time away from campus for a sustained recovery and/or stability and for activities that contribute to a successful return. If approved, a complete withdrawal from the university is granted for a minimum of one full semester or term. A student who medically withdraws in good academic & conduct standing may be readmitted following the Readmission Process outlined below.

Who is eligible for a medical withdrawal? Medical Withdrawals may be granted to students who experience a serious or unexpected physical or behavioral health condition during any period in an enrolled semester when a condition prevents a student from continuing his/her studies.

Process for requesting/being granted a medical withdrawal:

  1. Students should submit a written request to the Vice President for Student Affairs (VPSA) at The email should include the reason for the request and supporting documentation.

    1. Documentation of the serious nature of the medical and/or mental health condition must be provided to the Vice President for Student Affairs/Dean of Students from a licensed or board-certified physician, psychologist, and/or psychiatrist. This assessment or letter must support the student’s claim that the medical/mental health condition precludes class attendance and performance of academic work and should include:

      1. General description of the illness/condition and treatment

      2. Date of onset of the illness or condition

      3. Dates student was under care

      4. Why or how this has prevented or will prevent the student from completing academic work and/or from functioning effectively in the university’s living community.

    2. Documentation must be dated concurrent with the semester in which the medical withdrawal is being requested.

    3. To be considered for a medical withdrawal, a student must submit all required documentation within 30 days of the original request.

  2. The VPSA will schedule a conversation with the student in-person, by phone, or virtual meeting.

  3. Review Impacts of Withdrawing Please note that the medical withdrawal process does not dismiss/waive any legal, disciplinary, housing, meal plan, or other student responsibilities to the university.

    1. Academic

      1. A medical withdrawal results in a complete withdrawal from the university and is granted for a minimum of one full semester or term. Approval will be granted on a case-by-case basis.

      2. If a medical withdrawal is granted before the end of add/drop and/or withdrawal periods, the course withdrawal policy will apply. If the medical withdrawal occurs past the withdrawal period, a W will be recorded unless the student is willing and able to negotiate completing the courses using another modality such as online courses.

      3. Degree & Graduation Requirements - Students should meet with their Academic Advisor prior to their medical withdrawal request.

      4. The degree requirements applicable to the student’s declared major will not change due to the student’s medical withdrawal. Nevertheless, there are circumstances when the degree requirements or program offerings will change while the student is out due to a medical withdrawal. Students should consult with their academic advisors upon return.

      5. All degree requirements must be completed within the Time Limit on Completion of Degrees policy, regardless of an approved medical withdrawal.

    2. Financial

      1. Students must meet with staff in the Financial Aid office prior to submitting their medical withdrawal request.

      2. Tuition, room and/or board refunds for medical withdrawals during the semester will be in accordance with the university’s Refund Policy listed in this Student Handbook. Fees are non-refundable per university policy.

    3. On-Campus Housing

      1. Students living in on-campus housing have yearlong housing agreements (fall and spring). Students who are granted a medical withdrawal will also need to submit a Request for Release from University Housing Agreement. Please contact Residence Life for more information.

    4. International Students

      1. International students must meet with the Assistant Registrar prior to submitting their medical withdrawal request.

  4. As a medical withdrawal is a complete university withdrawal, the student must complete and submit a Non-Returning Student Form found on the portal.

  5. Seek out campus resources for help. If the student is facing personal challenges and needs help, Chaminade may have resources available.

  6. If the student is granted a medical withdrawal, the student will receive a letter from the Vice President for Student Affairs/Dean of Students outlining the terms of the withdrawal including any re-enrollment conditions.

Readmission Process Students wishing to re-enroll after sitting out the minimum one full semester/term following a medical withdrawal must satisfy the re-enrollment conditions below and/or established at the time of the withdrawal.

The student must apply for readmission through the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs/Dean of Students. The student must submit a completed Medical Leave Readmission Packet or other required documentation as stated in the letter to the student upon withdrawal. The Packet can be obtained through the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs/Dean of Students and contains:

  1. Student Questionnaire - must be completed by the student and submitted to the Vice President for Student Affairs/Dean of Students.

  2. Healthcare Provider Report - must be completed by and received directly from a licensed or board-certified physician, psychiatrist, and/or psychologist 30 days prior to the student’s (client’s) requested re-entry date to the university

If medical documentation was established as a condition for re-enrollment, the University will give significant weight to the opinion of the student’s treatment providers regarding the student’s readiness to return to the academic environment at the University, with or without accommodations. In extraordinary circumstances, the University may require the student to undergo an additional individualized assessment to make a determination regarding the student’s readiness for return. The University may also impose conditions on the student as part of his or her return, based on the particular student’s situation.

If a student is permitted to re-enroll following a medical withdrawal, the student is responsible for coordinating the return to the University community with the student’s academic advisor and/or Academic Dean’s office; the Office of Financial Aid; Housing & Residence Life; and University Business Office.

The student is also encouraged to contact the Kōkua ‘Ike Learning Center and/or the Counseling Center, as appropriate, to discuss possible accommodations and support.