Skip to Main Content


Enrollment Policy: To be eligible to receive need-based financial aid other than the Federal Pell Grant/FSEOG, a student must be enrolled at least half-time (6 credits) in a program leading to the receipt of a degree. A student who is enrolled less than half-time may be eligible to receive a Pell Grant/FSEOG as long as the student is seeking their first baccalaureate degree. A student’s financial aid award may be adjusted at any point in the term due to enrollment changes or noted errors on the part of the student, parent or the institution.  Pell Grant awarding is subject to enrollment and less than full-time enrollment (<12 credits) will result in a proration of the Pell grant award and depending on Pell award total, some enrollments at less than full-time may not qualify for a prorated Pell disbursement. 

Refund Policy after Official/Unofficial Withdrawals (Title IV Funds): To withdraw officially from the University, a student must complete an official withdrawal form in the Records Office or online. The date the Records Office approves the withdrawal is the official date CUH will use in the calculation of any tuition refund or refund to the federal Department of Education. Students who do not formally and completely withdraw are not eligible for a refund.

As part of the Higher Education Amendments of 1998, Congress passed provisions governing what must happen to your federal financial assistance if you completely withdraw from school in any semester. If a student withdraws from CUH, then the University may be required to return some of the federal aid funds awarded to the student.

Title IV Funds (Federal): For those students who withdraw completely before the term ends, and are receiving federal funding, the refund policy of Title IV Funds (back to federal programs) is dictated by federal regulations governing Title IV financial aid programs. These programs must be refunded according to the calculations prescribed by federal regulations based on the date of withdrawal and percentage of time enrolled. If a student withdraws from CUH, before completing the term, then the University is required to complete this calculation called the Return of Title IV Funds Calculation.  This federal calculation determines how much of the aid that was disbursed that the student has earned based on their withdrawal date.  For a student who has completed at least 60% of the term, as determined by the federal calculation, no return of aid to the federal programs is required.  Within 45 days of the date of withdrawal being determined, the amount of funding that must be returned to the Title IV programs will be calculated, and the student’s financial aid award will be adjusted accordingly. This will occur within 45 days of the official date of withdrawal, or, in the cases of unofficial withdrawals (see below); the date that the school has determined the student has withdrawn.  Any funds needing to be returned will generate either a balance or, if applicable, increase the balance already held by the student.  Any balance or balance increase is the responsibility of the student to cover and not Chaminade University.  Students who have federal loans are required to complete an exit loan counseling.

Non-Attendance/Unofficial Withdrawals: Students who register for classes, and do not attend at least one class session after the add/drop period has concluded, are not eligible to receive any federal or institutional funds. Students who attend at least one class after add/drop concludes, cease attending all classes, and do not officially withdraw from the University, are considered to have unofficially withdrawn and are subject to proration even if the school becomes aware of the lack of attendance at the end of the term or after the term has concluded.

Repayment Policy After Official/Unofficial Withdrawals: In the case of an official or unofficial withdrawal from the University, a student who receives a cash disbursement of Title IV financial aid funds may have to repay the University a percentage of those Title IV funds depending on the length of enrollment and the amount of financial aid awarded to the student. If, according to the federal calculations, a student has been “overpaid,” the student will be required to repay the excess amount to the University for reimbursement to the federal programs. If the student fails to repay the calculated amount, the student will be reported to the U. S. Department of Education and will be ineligible for any other Title IV assistance at any school until the overpayment is cleared.