Skip to main content

Student Health

In the overall scope of student development, health care is a vital element for physical development and well-being. Because Chaminade University does not have a health center on campus, we offer free alternative means of transportation for residential students to and from several local public clinics and area hospitals. Please visit for more information.

Chaminade supports health requirements that complement the goals of maintaining a healthy, safe campus. These requirements are based upon laws of the State of Hawaii and therefore are strictly enforced. It is highly advised that students consult and consider receiving vaccines for adults as recommended by the CDC,

The State of Hawai‘i mandates that certain health requirements be met for entrance to post-secondary educational institutions (Hawai‘i Administrative Rules, Title 11, Department of Health, Chapter 157). All Chaminade University of Honolulu students, including faculty/staff enrolled as students, must comply with health clearance requirements. All post-secondary students who attend classes exclusively online or electronically via remote learning are excluded from the immunization requirements. Failure to comply with requirements may result in an inability to register for courses, reside in Chaminade-owned residence halls, and /or participate in intercollegiate athletics.

All students must provide the following unless exceptions apply as noted:

  1. CUH Student Health Form (available through the Chaminade Portal under "Student Forms".

  2. Tuberculosis (TB) Clearance

    A Tuberculosis (TB) Risk Assessment is required before post-secondary education for any course of study longer than 120 days. Clearance documents may be issued by the Hawaii Department of Health or a U.S. licensed MD, DO, APRN, or PA. The test/assessment must be given on or after the 16th birthday or within 12 months of attending any post-secondary institution in the state of Hawaii. Acceptable clearance for post-secondary students includes a Negative Risk Screen, OR a Negative TB Test (TB skin test, T-Spot or Quantiferon Gold In-Tube), OR a Positive TB Test and Negative Chest X-ray with laboratory report.

  3. Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) Immunizations

    Students born prior to 1957 are exempt from the measles, mumps, and rubella requirement. All other students must provide documentation of any of the following: Two doses of measles-containing vaccine, with at least one of the two being Measles-Mumps-Rubella (MMR) vaccine. The first dose must have been given on or after 12 months of age and the second must have been given at least four weeks after the first dose. Titers are no longer acceptable per the HI State Department of Health.

  4. Tetanus-Diphtheria-Pertussis (Tdap) - One (1) dose

    Students aged 7-18 years not fully immunized with DTaP vaccine should receive a single dose of Tdap as one dose of the catch-up series. If additional doses are needed, Td vaccine should be used. Persons aged 7 years and older who have never been vaccinated against pertussis, tetanus, or diphtheria should receive a series of 3 vaccinations: Tdap, followed by a dose of Td at least 4 weeks after Tdap, and another dose of Td at least 6 months after the previous Td. A single dose of Tdap can substitute for any of the Td doses in the 3-dose series.

  5. Varicella (Chicken Pox) Vaccine

    For students born in the United States prior to 1980, a varicella vaccination not required. For all other students, two (2) doses. A signed, documented diagnosis or verification of a history of varicella disease or herpes zoster by a practitioner may be substituted for a record of varicella vaccination.

  6. Meningococcal Conjugate Vaccine (MCV)

    Applies only to students living in campus residence halls for the first time who are 21 years and younger. At least one (1) dose on or after age 16 years.

  7. Health Insurance Verification

    Applies only to students living in campus residence halls, intercollegiate athletes, and/or undergraduate international students. Student must provide a copy of your current health insurance card. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that his/her current health insurance is accepted in the State of Hawai‘i.

For any student coming from a country outside of the U.S.: All proof of immunizations must be in English and completed and signed by a U.S. Licensed healthcare provider (M.D., D.O., A.P.R.N, or P.A.). The U.S. licensed healthcare practitioner must document the state where s/he is licensed and include her/his license number.

For more information on student health insurance options, please go to or call (808) 735-4710.