The Marianists in Hawaii
The Marianists first arrived in Hawaii in 1883 to assume responsibility for Saint Louis School in Honolulu, in subsequent years, they founded Saint Anthony’s School in Wailuku, Maui, and Saint Joseph’s School in Hilo. In September 1955, the Marianists opened Saint Louis Junior College on the Saint Louis School Campus. Under the direction of the Reverent Robert R. Mackey, S.M., it provided a two-year liberal arts program. Two years later the college expanded its programs and became a four-year coeducational college with the name of Chaminade College of Honolulu. In 1967, Chaminade established an evening program to serve adult learners. A decade later, with the institution of graduate programs, Chaminade College of Honolulu became Chaminade University and “of Honolulu” was added in 1981.